Monday, July 25, 2005

Lance's #7

I look at Lance winning his 7th tour, and think about how far we've come in this country with bicycle racing. I took my first moderately serious ride back around 1983, and had dabbled in cycling since the late 1970's. I knew who Eddy Merckx was almost 30 years ago. In those days, adults on bikes were generally regarded as geeks of one kind or another. Now, it hard to go out on a nice summer day and not see several, and if they're in groups, it seems like half are wearing yellow.

I was working (part-time) in a bike shop at the time that Greg LeMond became the first American to win the Tour. Andy Hampsten was supposed to be the next great American. With Lance retiring, that mantle is up for grabs again. When I looked at the GC (general classification) standings (the time leaders, and the race for the overall winner), I saw 6th place taken by an American - Levi Leipheimer of the Gerolsteiner team; another American, Floyd Landis of Phonak in 9th; George Hincapie, one of Lance's Discovery teammates in 14th; and Bobby Julich of CSC in 17th overall. While most of these riders are starting to get old, many are team leaders. A far cry from the days when an American at the tour was an oddity, and merely finishing was considered a major milestone.

I am hopeful, though realistic, in my doubting that unless an Amercan contends overall, things like OLN's coverage of the tour will disappear in the next several years. The other piece of baggage that goes with that is the probability that Discovery and CSC may not continue to sponsor teams, which will hurt cycling in the USA.

I like seeing all those yellow jerseys on the roads in July, though I wish I'd see them in March and November as well. (Since I'm in the northeast, they get a pass for December, january and February.) It's good for their health, and they have fun. They also set an example of active living for kids to follow.

Pump your tires and get out there! Who knows, your kid could be the next Lance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home