Monday, April 28, 2008

Some Thoughts On The Women's Marathon Trials

Having watched the women's trials on the internet a bit over a week ago, I was struck by Magdalena Lewy-Boulet's effort. I did not see the early miles, but I understand she ran away from the pack essentially at the starting line. She ran a very nice race, building up a two minute gap before a mid-race pace increase by Deena Kastor reeled her in, finishing in 2:29:35, and looking like she felt pretty comfortable. Lewy-Boulet managed to hold onto second, finishing in 2:30:19, but did seem to be struggling in the later miles. Blake Russell finished third, covering the course in 2:32:40, but also seeming pretty comfortable. Zoila Gomez took the alternate spot by outsprinting Tera Moody to finish in 2:33:53.
Here's my take on the race: Kastor ran the race she wanted to run. Lewy-Boulet did as well, but Kastor's race was the smarter of the two. Lewy-Boulet probably beat up her legs and body a whole lot more than Kastor did.
Because of that, my money is on the following finish for the American team: Kastor, Russell, Lewy-Boulet (assuming all three get to the starting line). Kastor has a real shot at a medal, it will probably take a lucky break for either of the other two to do so.
Of course, an awful lot of us old-timers were rooting for Joan Benoit-Samuelson to post a good race there. She ran 2:49:08 at age 50! (I wish I could come close to that!)
What really intrigues me is whether the big time spread between the men and women will show a benefit to an earlier team slection in the marathon. I had the chance to speak to Ryan Hall, albeit very briefly, following his London Marathon race. He put up a 2:06:17, and he seemed fresh just about 10 hours after his finish. I am confident that he'll contend barring injury or accident.
One other comment - when growing up, the American flag was to be respected. It did not touch the ground. It did not get intentionally dirtied. At both the men's and women's trials, athletes appeared to be given flags and wrapped themselves in them. To me, using the flag as a wrap for a sweaty body is an act of disrespect. I realize times and standards change, and I think giving the athletes a flag is great, just don't encourage them to wrap themselves in it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

I had actually watched the women's trials when I was in Boston! I was at the two mile line and viewed them four times! Lewy-Boulet was fantastic and had built up a huge lead and she looked very comfortable and in control, hence, my order of finish in the Olympics would be Kastor, Lewy-Boulet and then Russel. But as you mentioned, injuries could be a factor. I was thrilled to meet Joan in person at the Expo and she was so level headed, modest, and friendly, she's America's running sweetheart. I was excited to see her reach her goal.

I was a Boy Scout during my youth, and having the flag touch the ground was a huge no-no, in fact the scout leader said if the flag touched the ground it had to be destroyed and replaced...something I haven't read or heard since...maybe it was way of emphasizing the importance of respect to the flag. I'm with you, the Flag shouldn't be treated like a space-blanket or sweat rag...but times have changed, not necessarily for the better.

April 29, 2008 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home