Monday, December 27, 2004

My Plan of Attack

Since, as you likely know, I'm trying to qualify this coming spring to run the Boston Marathon, my exercise program is pretty structured. I'm running, and not in modest amounts. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME! I'm currently doing about 40 miles a week, up from 0 just 6 weeks ago (though I had a pretty good pre-injury base). So, my exercise is taken care of. It consists roughly of 5 hours of running weekly, normally spread over 7 days (no days off, though easy days are part of the plan - recovery is necessary, esp. on days like today...my legs are rebelling a bit at the 20+ miles of combined running and racewalking this weekend).

Pick a reasonable exercise that you want to do, generally it should be one of the big 4 aerobic activities: walking, running, swimming, or bicycling; but a machine based variant like elliptical trainers, stair climbers, etc. are also fine. I favor walking as a suggestion for most people. It costs nothing, is available at your door, and is low-impact. When you walk, don't stroll! walk hard enough that you're breathing heavily (or use a heart rate monitor to really optimize your benefits).

I'm trying to eat smaller amounts of healthier foods. These foods are less calorie dense and so keep me feeling full and thus, less likely to fill up on unhealthy snacks. I weighed late last week and may have been down as much as 3 lbs. (I haven't been consistent about which scale I weigh on, nor time of day, nor dress, so it's pretty iffy, but I think I'm down slightly.) It would surprise me that it would be 3 lbs., though. Perhaps 1!, losing 3 in a week is likely mostly water, so it doesn't count.

You now know how I'm going to be working at getting back to about 152 lbs. (Any Brits reading this? Would that be a bit under 11 stone? Let me know with a comment.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home