Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Personal Records All Around

Last night, my family competed in a local race series. My son ran the 1500 meters, and in trying to chase down another kid, set a big PR, running a 7:34 - almost a minute faster than his previous best. The other kid held him off at the line, but I'm sure having each other there helped them both.
My wife ran the 5K "featured" race and ran a 28:44?, her best time this season. She doesn't run a lot. As a personal trainer, she's in great shape. We debate about her aerobic capacity - I claim that if she did more long duration exercise, her aerobic capacity would go up and her times would come down. She's happy doing things as she does, and not going too hard when she races. The choices are hers to make.
I racewalked the 5K. I should say that my club is a competitive racewalking club, so we take it seriously. I broke 32 minutes for the first time this season (and was trying hard to maintain good form). I found myself beside an older (70ish) acquaintance who was running. We each pulled the other, neither wanting to give in, and so we both PR'ed (OK - I guess technically SR'ed - season records). In the end, because of the need to maintain form, his top end could beat mine but we both finished around 31:15.
It was raining lightly for much of the evening and that helped to cool it down a bit and make better performances easier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home