Wednesday, January 05, 2005

How I Bulked Up!

I was chatting with a friend recently when the subject of my newly increased weight came up. As we chatted about it, several things became very clear. I was hurt for about 3 months (12 weeks) and had been running about 40 miles per week prior to my foot problem. As we talked, he pointed out that my weight gain was a pound a week. I then realized that if we look at the rough estimate of 100 calories per mile, that would convert my 40 miles a week into 4000 calories per week. Now looking at the 3500 calories per pound, it suddenly became clear that virtually all my weight gain came from lack of activity. (I had not substituted another activity for my running time, nor had I adjusted my eating to compensate.) So, that's how I find myself needing to lose 12 lbs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home