Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Marketing Us Fat

If you're like most young people (and a fair number of older people), you believe that in order to succeed at physical activity, you must drink replenishment beverages and eat nutrition bars. Prior to the introduction of Gatorade in the mid-1960's and its widespread marketing in the 1970's, the concept of a sports drink was alien to most people. In the 1980's, the Power Bar was introduced. Both of these products can perform important functions for athletes, but unless you understand what they do, you may be taking in needless calories, and emptying your wallet faster than necessary.

Prior to the introduction of these products, marathons got run, bicycles got raced, but the triathlon had not been created. How did athletes deal with the lack of these products? Generally, they took water, and if the event duration was long enough to have it make sense, they also had a sugared beverage of some kind. The combination of these two items was adequate for excellent perfomance.

At the gym last night, I had a conversation with a man who drank a 20 oz. bottle of Gatorade in the locker room. He knew the caloric content of the drink was 125 cal. (2.5 servings @ 50 cal./serving). Whether he knew that in order to offset his calorie intake, he'd have to run or walk about a mile, I don't know. I wonder if he'd have been so quick to throw it down if he knew.

Don't misunderstand me, these products have their place, but unless an activity is longer than about an hour. No special replenishment is necessary. After your activity, drink some water, eat something containing some sodium and something with potassium (fruits or vegetables) and perhaps something with some protein and you have all you need.

The place where these products shine is in long duration events. To me that means two hours or more. Sugars provide energy. (I ran my first marathon without taking anything but water and fell apart at mile 23, three hours into the event - I wonder what the outcome would have been if I'd been replenishing sugars during the event.) Replacing salts becomes more important in events of about 4 hours or longer duration (and these times are based loosely on studies I've seen and are NOT absolute). It helps prevent imbalances of electrolytes, especially hyponatremia.

Energy Bars are mostly another way to take in sugar. Whether your choice is a Power Bar, a Clif Bar, Luna, Pria, etc. these products provide you with a lot of calories in a small, easily digestible form. This is good if you're doing a long activity, but bad if you're exercising for weight loss. And you should be wary, some of these bars are getting awfully close to candy bars. (My preference is for the original Power Bars in part because they taste lousy - but that's one of their biggest benefits, I think they're a bit lower in calories, but you don't eat them beause it'll taste good, you eat it because it'll help you.) Most of the bars my wife has around are in the 200-250 calorie range, so for someone attempting to watch their weight, that may be 1/6 to 1/8 of their desired daily caloric intake.

Before the introduction of these sports nutrition products, athletes chose foods that would / could / should help them. There was a bit of a science to it, avoiding high fat (and to some extent high fiber) foods. I'll tell you that two marathons ago, the half a banana I was given at mile 16 or 18 was welcome and very easy to put down. At my next marathon, I took an orange slice near mile 20 and nearly vomited. (And I can usually take oranges easily, but that far into a marathon, nothing is normal.)

So, what is my energy drink? I'll take ade at a race occasionally. When I walk, I normally bring cold tea with honey dissolved in it. (Warning: It stains, so expect ruined shirts or be very careful.) One old standby was defizzed Coca-Cola. I've become partial to gels, my personal favorite is chocolate Clif Shot, but I have a friend who swears by Carb Boom Orange Cream because it's easier to get down without water. (I try to take these about 200 yards before a water stop.) Try a bunch of stuff to find out what works for you. Take plenty of fluids and have fun out there. Used judiciously, these sports nutrition products can help you to improve your performance. Used foolishly, they'll make you fat and slow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home