Friday, April 29, 2005

The Gastrocolic Reflex

For many years, one of my friends claimed he needed a big cup of coffee to encourage him to "sit" on the toilet. (Sorry that this is a "not nice" topic, but it does involve health.) As I've learned more about health, I've found out that there's something called the gastrocolic reflex and it causes a desire to use the toilet when something is put in the stomach. As time has passed, I've realized that while liquids are helpful in this regard, solid food also helps.

Part of the reason for this post is to celebrate my finding the term "gastrocolic reflex" - it was something that I'd heard mentioned a long time ago, but could not hear the actual term, so I decided to Google it and using several terms that I expected would be used in a discussion of this, quickly found the term and checked several more sites to confirm that it was what I was looking for.

In checking it, I found it mentioned on some websites that pertained to irritable bowel symdrome (IBS). I used to believe that I might have IBS, but when I changed my lifestyle, all signs of it disappeared, so I have to believe my problem was poor eating, not IBS. One of the things that the IBS sites pointed out is that soluble fiber (which is found in oatmeal, apples, and the bulk fiber laxatives, like Metamucil and Citrucel) is very beneficial for IBS. It's something that I've suggested to people for cholesterol control, but was unaware that it was good for IBS. Note that for IBS, while soluble fiber is good, insoluble fiber (aka roughage) can be an irritant and thus should be limited.

So, when you get up in the morning, fill you belly with healthy foods and beverages and prepare to "take care of business."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home