Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Trans Fats - Bad, Natural Fats - Good (In Moderation)

The more I'm learning about trans fats (aka partially hydrogenated oils), the more worried I am about them. They are used in foods because they are stable, not turning rancid quickly like many liquid oils do. Let's look at the history - trans fats are a part of a learning process. In the 1970's and 1980's, we realized that saturated fats (like coconut oil) were bad for us, so we synthesized hard fats by cooking oil in the presence of hydrogen to make these partially hydrogenated oils. We thought we were looking out for our health while the food companies were able to make shelf stable foods.
As it turns out these oils are not just stable on the shelf, but also in our bodies. These fats, because they are syntethic, are apparently almost impossible for our bodies to process. So, they stay around in our bodies.
There have now been links (I'm unsure how well proven) to increased heart and arterial disease risk from consumption of these trans fats. While, I suspect, they are likely minimally risky in very small amounts, I think we should make efforts choose foods with natural fats when we are consuming foods containing fats.
Frito-Lay (as part of an effort by their parent company PepsiCo) has, from what I understand, taken trans fats out of their snack foods. I applaud this effort (but also feel the need to remind you that these are snack foods - usually high in oil and salt...I went through a period when I ate far to many of them, often substituting oversize portions of them for meals - I eat better now, but wanted to remind any of you who may fall into that trap, to change your ways). PepsiCo has recently introduced a Green Dot on many of its healthier foods, called the Smart Spot. It's a way to quickly identify healthier foods. Their website about it is here: http://www.smartspot.com/
The flip side of that argument is that many of the products PepsiCo makes are not as healthy as some different alternatives. Very clearly, a glass of their Tropicana Orange Juice is healthier than a glass of their Pepsi. But, I say eat the orange, it's better than the juice (because it contains fiber), but sometimes that's not an available (or convenient) alternative. I have serious issues with their marketing of Gatorade. My stance on electrolyte beverages is that unless you are sweating profusely for more than an hour, replacement of electrolytes through a special beverage is unnecessary. (They probably have research that will appear to contradict me, but it was likely done with high level athletes where the tiniest edge can be significant and for whom weight control is a non-issue.) So, if you are running a half-marathon or a marathon, an electrolyte beverage can be meaningful, but if you just spent 30 minutes on the stairmaster, it has little value.
I apologize for my digression, but when buying food, look for foods containing No Trans Fats, but be careful, the rules permit companies to say this even when foods contain small amounts (less than 1/2 gram) per serving. It's best to read the ingredient panel, rather than relying on a claim on the front of the package. When you have the choice, choose the brand without the hydrogenated oil.

3 Comments:

Blogger brent said...

those sound like some really fast quarters! the nice high school track by me is all fenced off and locked up now so that really sucks. i used to run there sometimes. gotta find me a different track i guess.

April 15, 2005 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with your entry, but in regards to your question, "Do you think the quality of the field at Boston tends to make you feel like you're moving slower (or otherwise plays with your head) to cause you to increase effort to keep up?"

No, I don't think so. In fact, it is SO crowded in the early miles that you can't go out particularly fast (at least not from the fourth corral, where I was). I went out slower than I have in any previous marathon. (The clock doesn't lie!)

If you're going to run Boston, I would recommend finding a 10-mile downhill stretch and practice running marathon pace on it. If I ever decided I wanted to run Boston for a good time again, I would do all of my marathon pace runs from the starting line in Hopkinton. If you're just running for the experience, just start off significantly slower than you think you should.

April 20, 2005 12:50 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Alison and Brent, thatnks for the comments - it shows me that someone is reading my stuff out there. (And why should a comment HAVE to relate to the post subject - it's a blog after all. Somewhat stream of consciousness.)
Meantime, Alison thanks for the explanation...if you ever get down to the NY area (and I know it happens pretty regularly), I know some long hills in Jersey if you'd ever consider slowing down to run with a beat up old warhorse.

April 25, 2005 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home