Thursday, August 11, 2005

Dana Reeve has Lung Cancer

I found out about this from someone telling me that it was "all over the news." I hadn't heard a word about it. As you may guess, I'm not big on watching the "soft" part of the news. The news of this broke right after Peter Jennings died of lung cancer, so probably got more play than it otherwise would.

Reeve is an unusual case, having never smoked, but cancer isn't always predictable or controllable. Generally, lung cancer risk is attributed to smoke exposure (either one's own, or second-hand), radon gas, and genetics. Aside from saying, "Don't Smoke (and avoid second-hand smoke when you can)" and "get your home tested for radon (if you're in an area where it occurs)," there isn't much you can do to control your risk.

Some authorities, like Dr. Kenneth Cooper, believe that anti-oxidants can help to reduce cancer risk. I haven't yet signed on as a believer, but have learned not to dispute Cooper because he's usually been proven right.

I also wonder whether living in NJ (as do I), because of automotive and other pollution, increased her risk. I wish her the best in her battle with this insidious cancer.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 12, 2005 3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home