Monday, October 10, 2005

Canary In A Coalmine

In the old days, coal miners used to take a caged canary into the mines with them. If the bird died, you got out of the mine or there was a good chance you'd die too. The rapid respiration and delicate nature of birds made them an ideal early warning system.

Today, many owners of exotic birds have banished Teflon from their homes. Fumes from heating Teflon are known to kill birds. Dupont, the primary maker of PTFE (the chemical compound of which Teflon is the leading brand), has acknowledged that at high temperatures, Teflon emits toxic gases. What is less clear is how much risk this poses to humans.

I have not disposed of Teflon pans in my house, though I have scolded my wife for cooking at high temperatures in Teflon coated pans. The answers are not yet in, but I'd advise caution. Personally, I am a fan of cast iron pans. They have the added benefit of building up your arms as you handle them.

There are many links on the web about this issue. One that seems to lay things out with some solid logic can be found here: http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/toxictemps.php

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home