Monday, October 03, 2005

A Happy Soreness

Yesterday, I was working as a volunteer at a local half-marathon. My job was with a group of bikers leading it. I had done some biking as cross training, but not nearly enough. Yesterday, I spent somewhere between 2 and 3 hours on bike, and often needed to slow down an re-accelerate. My legs today are sore, but a happy kind of sore. Every time I use them, I can feel it, but it's not at the level where it's pain, you just kind of know they're there. It's really a happy kind of soreness because you know the muscles will be stronger in a few days when they have recovered. If you train, this is the optimal level of discomfort, it doesn't intrude into your life, but it makes you stronger.

For those of you trying to lose weight, repeatedly pushing your body to the point where you feel this kind of soreness will increase your metabolism and thus, let you lose weight faster than you would have before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home