Friday, November 11, 2005

Veteran's Day

Fighting in The Great War ended at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918. This armistice laid the groundwork for the Treaty of Versailles to be signed the following year. Over the years, this day, originally called Armistice Day has been renamed Veteran's Day, and a second great war caused The Great War to be renamed World War I.

I see Veteran's Day as a day set aside to say, "Thank You" to those who have served their country. It differs from Memorial Day, which honors the memory of those who did not return. Veteran's Day recognizes those who did come back. Too often, we fail to recognize those around us while they are alive for the many acts they have done on our both individual and collective behalf. I ask that you please make a point today of saying, "Thank You" to a veteran.

Most of the veterans of World War II are now in their 80's and older, they don't have too many years left. The Korean War veterans are not too much younger. Those who fought in Viet Nam probably had the toughest time emotionally because their service was often derided at the time because the war was unpopular. I hope those who oppose the war in Iraq continue to make clear to the veterans of Iraq that their opposition is to war, not to the soldiers. We must also not forget those who served in Desert Storm, in U.N. peacekeeping forces or in the small wars and skirmishes that often become footnotes to history. Nor should we forget those who served in times of peace or served in peaceful activities in times of conflict. To all of you, I extend my heartfelt thanks.

As I left my house this morning, I must confess that I failed to put up my flag. I ask those of you who can put up a flag today to please do so. Help recognize those who served, and if you can, say, "Thank You", to a veteran.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home