Friday, March 10, 2006

One Piece At A Time

...one piece at a time,
and it didn't cost me a dime...

Over twenty-five years ago, I attended a Johnny Cash concert. One of the songs he sang was about a guy who took a job building Cadillacs. In this song, he began stealing a car part a day in his lunchbox. By the end of his career, he had a wonderful Caddy, except that it had one headlight on one side and two on the other and a few other bizarre and amusing problems. You can find the lyrics here.

For some reason, while doing my run this morning, this song popped into my head. It just kept rattling around and somewhere along the way, it struck me that the story behind the song was kind of like prepping for a marathon. Do a little, every day, day after day, and at some point, you've got something.

Last night (and Tuesday also), I took my son to the local park and we ran a couple of laps (1.6 miles). It seemed to help my feet - maybe they've been crying out, "I want you to run doubles!" (Somehow, I doubt that.) When I bought him his first pair of real running shoes - Nike Pegasus size 2 (and is the plural Pegasii or Pegasuses?), I gave him the stern lecture, "I'll expect you to train seriously and to race hard." He may have taken it a bit too much to heart. There have been a couple of crying binges when I wasn't encouraging him to run due to snow. His track program at the local Y begins in a couple of weeks.

Oh, a few weeks back, on one of my runs, I passed this tree that had fallen and been cut off to clear the road. I suspect it was the tree guy who painted it, but I kept wanting to post a photo of it, and I wanted to call it "sporting a woody."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home