Friday, March 03, 2006

An Icy 10K

This morning, I haeded out, running the same route as yesterday on legs that felt a bit tired. My feet, especially my right one, was screaming for mercy whenever I started walking yesterday. That case of PF just keeps hanging in the background.

I ran much of the outbound route this morning in the lines where cars had polished the ice off the road. Whenever a car came, I sidestepped onto the ice. While it sounds awful, tire tracks, thrown snow, and the pellety nature of this storm gave my shoes tolerably good purchase. I ran what I regard as the 55 minute loop and even with the icy conditions, it took me 55 minutes to cover what I figure is a bit more than a 10K.

I felt a bit fatigued late in yesterday's run, and could feel it as I ran today. In talking to people, I've realized that one of the things that outdoor running provides is a continuous usage of small muscles in the feet, ankles and legs to adjust to the footstrike. Constant treadmill runners don't do this work and often find that when they get on the roads, the fatigue quickly. I think the added work of running on ice both yesterday and today was a key reason I felt fatigue. The process of interpreting the information is called proprioception, and was the subject of a long ago post.

A few runs back, I got to accuse my locker neighbor of holding my shoe hostage. I'd thrown the shoes on top of the lockers when I got in. The guy who usually uses the locker next to mine had gone into the shower while I was there. When I came out, I noticed that the shoelaces of the shoes were draped over the edge and one was locked into my locker, the other was in his. I got myself dressed and he still hadn't returned. By this time, to graphically show the shoe being held hostage, I'd moved it so it was hanging by the lace from his locker. Once he had moved into the drying area, I shouted to him, "John, you're holding my shoe hostage." "What," he replied. So, I explained. He came over, and we had a laugh over it. These goofy little things add flavor to life. I enjoy them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home