Thursday, March 02, 2006

Eight in the (Not-So) Crap

This morning, after another day of relative sloth (I spent a bunch of time on my son's Pinewood Derby car), I took a little run. The impending snowstorn had just started as I headed out. Everything that hadn't been salted had a thin veneer of ice bonded to it. I told the guy at the counter at the gym that I might be back soon depending on the weather.

Off I went. The day of rest must have done me some good, as I got to my usual short-run turnaround (which I consider to be my 35 minute run) and felt good. I'll keep going. I hit the second turnaround (45 min), still feeling good - kept on. I hit my "long-weekday" turn (55 min) and still felt good. I also passed up the almost the end of the road turn (1:02), and ran to the end. I consider this run to be 1:07, but today, when I got back to the gym, 1:09 had passed. Given the need to watch footing and for some extra caution in case of sliding cars, I think it was solid. It'll go into the log as just shy of 8 miles.

The run out is westbound, thus normally into the wind. This morning, the slight breeze was no issue, but what made the trip out tougher than the trip back was two-fold, it was done earlier, which meant the salt and sand trucks hadn't been out as long, and the road is less busy, meaning that on some stretches, few cars had traversed the roadway, dripping their slurry of sandy, saline muck from the undercarriage, thus there was little help either mechanical or chemical to melt the icy glaze.

Just past the turnaround, I passed an older guy slogging out his mileage on the sidewalk. I commented that it was really a pretty good morning. He agreed. Traffic seemed a bit ligher than usual. There was just a tad of sleet coming down. The air was mostly calm.

Back at the gym, I stretched and headed to the lockers to shower and change. While hanging the tights, I noticed the lower legs were speckled with tan and white dots. The salt and ice, which had helped me on the run had followed me.

By the way, on Tuesday, while running, I hear a couple of toots on a car horn. I turn to see if it was for me - I think it was, but not exactly someone I know. I'm pretty sure it was this guy - same color car, same area. Guess I've still got a nice one!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Wow, wish I had an "admirer". Maybe if we could pick'em. Good 8 miles today.

March 02, 2006 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home