Monday, June 19, 2006

Loser!

On Saturday afternoon, my son had a birthday party to attend after we'd done the Father's Day weekend visit to her folks. We'd left a bit late, so, the logical way to get me home was to drop me close the the highway and have me walk from there. I ducked into the Barnes and Noble to use the toilet, then began the walk home. I'd picked up a book as well, so was carrying a small bag. Near the town line, there's an overpass over some railroad tracks. As I walked across it, from one of the passing cars, I heard the yell, "Loser!"

Yep, if I am a loser, then I need you, a teenager, riding in a friend's car to point this out to me. And, if I'm not, then your yell will doubtless change my life. I'll collapse in a miasma of despair and become a loser, all thanks to your well placed yell. Yep, that's a good way to spend your time and energy.

Oh, and one other thing. On this same overpass, there was a small berry tree, and I ate a few. My first reaction was that they were black raspberries, but the plant wasn't right, so I'm now learning toward black mulberries, and this image convinces me that that's what I was eating. They were quite good, and there were lots of them. These weren't on a person's property, so I felt OK in taking them. I've since noticed many others on my runs, and I'm starting to wonder if I should make some jelly from scavenged fruit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home