Thursday, August 17, 2006

My Weekend - Part Two - Coney Island

The other interesting part of my weekend was our trip to the New York Aquarium in Coney Island. I have to say that I think I enjoyed Coney Island more than the Aquarium. This is true for a couple of reasons, most notably that the Aquarium was too crowded and noisy for me to find it pleasant.
The most visible icon of Coney Island is the parachute tower. It's visible from quite a long distance away, in fact, if you're ever crossed the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, you can see it from the bridge. (Yes, NYC Marathoners, it's up ahead on the right as you start, but you won't get close to it.)
For many New Yorkers, the Cyclone roller coaster is THE icon of Coney Island.
Another great icon is the Wonder Wheel, a Ferris Wheel.
We arrived hungry, so a visit to the original Nathan's for a hot dog was in order. (Yes, it's not healthy food, but "When in Rome...")
Every July Fourth, Nathan's hosts their hot dog eating contest.
This gate marks the entry to the aquarium from Coney Island's boardwalk.
The sea otters are one of the most enchanting animals on display.
There were also seals.
This shot of a jellyfish was my favorite aquarium shot.
And, finally, lest we forget, the reason it's all here is the beach.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

It looks like a fun trip. The seals are always my favorite at the aquarium too.

August 17, 2006 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home