Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Kelley Race

Yesterday, it was my birthday,
I hung one more year on the line,
I should be depressed,
My life is a mess,
But I'm having a good time.
- Paul Simon - Have A Good Time

For the last 3 years, I've gone up to Connecticut to run in the John J. Kelley Ocean Beach Race as a "birthday special." I'd planned to meet up with RBF Northeast Social Director Running Chick With The Orange Hat. As I sat down to put on my shoes, I glanced up at an attractive blonde, it was her. We greeted each other and she rushed off to try to chase down April Anne, another blogger who hadn't yet arrived. As the race began, I made brief eye contact with Running Chick, and in retrospect, I should have moved back to join her. After the race, knowing she hadn't passed me, I moved quickly to the area before the finish, expecting to cheer her in. After 30 minutes, mostly spent trying to get runners to finish hard, I figured I must have missed her. I headed over to get some chowdah (chowder) and a few minutes later, I saw the Running Chick again. It turned out she'd finished about 20 seconds behind me. She introduced me to April Anne, and I introduced her to Mr. Kelley. They then headed off onto the beach. It was the last time I was to see her that day. I'd intended to introduce her to Patti and Dan Dillon and invite them to the picnic, but I never got the chance. I feel like I barely met her and I let her down by not letting her meet the crowd I got to hang with. Both Running Chick and April Anne have posts about the race.

And yesterday really was my birthday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Happy to you!! (that's what my kids used to say)

I can't think of a better way to celebrate than with a good race.

August 09, 2006 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home