Monday, August 13, 2007

Passing The Knowledge

Tonight, my son and I went to my club's weekly summer race, part of a series held annually for 44 seasons (since 1964). It's a four-lap course around a lake, that was the home course of Dr. George Sheehan, and has had some superb competitors run there over its long and storied history. (Read that as the records aren't soft.)

Anyway, tonight, my son, who's about to turn nine ran the 5K by himself. There was a man by him, and he pointed out the importance of running tangents to him. It's a lesson I've tried to tell him at times, but hearing from another source means: a)other words, b)it's not Dad, and c)the lesson is delivered in a different style. The result is a lesson that may get absorbed a bit more readily.

I was pleased that someone took the time to try to impart the understanding to him. Sharing important lessons with the next generation makes a world of difference. I spent a few minutes tonight talking to a high school coach who brings her team (well, they come voluntarily) and the race is a measuring stick. This year, she expects to be rebuilding, as she had only one occasional scorer from her cross-country team returning. I commented that the sharing of wisdom is key the year prior to this one. Simply put, if her team from last year could impart their hard-earned wisdom to this year's team, then it would be reasonable to expect big advances from this year's team. We'll see.

By the way, I racewalked and took fourth, garnering me 1st masters honors. Before you are impressed, I was fourth masters, but the guys who beat me took the overall awards, so I got the leftovers. Oh, and I am younger than all of them.

Finally, one of our stalwarts was there tonight. At 94, and with a case of macular degeneration, he's no longer able to compete, but he was in good spirits and moves like an 80 year-old. He walks about two miles a day.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

Is that the course where Dr. George Sheehan had placed a public water fountain in front of his home?

Funny how kids think others opinions are more important and precise than their parents!! Very nice to have that gentleman impart his wisdom, I'd like to follow his example as to "pay it forward."

Congrats on taking fourth in your racewalking race!! Doesn't matter if you took the "leftovers," what matters is that you're back on your feet competing!! Keep moving forwards and onwards. You've been giving me great advice and support for many years now, you're my hero!

August 14, 2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Bruce,
This is not the spot where "Doc" lived, that was his Spring Lake house, where he moved in his later years. It is Lake Takanassee, where there is a water fountain and plaque dedicated to his memory.
Wayne

August 16, 2007 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home