Monday, January 24, 2005

A Tough Guy?

OK, it's gloat time. I ran for two hours in 6 degree weather on Saturday morning.

This run felt omen heavy, as I backed out of my driveway to head to the gym, I saw a runner up the street. I saw several more over the course of the run, and in this weather, it surprised me a bit.

My favorite moment came when I ran past this working guy, you know the type, a bit heavy, full Carhartt gear, stopping at a deli to get coffee. In his best S.O.B high school phys ed teacher voice he shouted, "Faster." It was a funny moment. I think I said something witty like, "At least I'm out here." OK, weak, but frankly, his comment made the grind in the cold a bit nicer. It added some humanity to the process.

When I got back to the gym, I had moustachecicles. You know, those frozen exhalations stuck in the hairs of the moustache. They melted over 10 or 15 minutes inside. I think the most fun in this process was when I'd move my face late in the run and feel the ice give way. It was a first for me, though long time winter runners doubtless can tell better stories about this process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home