Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Boston Marathon #1

I've wanted to run the Boston Marathon since I saw Frank Shorter win the 1972 Olympic Marathon in Munich. After high school, I fell gradually out of shape and when, at age 30, I ran my first marathon, the gap between Boston's qualifying time and that time was enormous. Three years ago, I decided to commit myself to earning a ticket to Boston. I should point out that I'm aware that you can get into Boston through a number of charities (by raising money for them) and that many runners simply bandit the race (run without a bib). I've been offered other people's bibs, but any of those methods of running it would be tainted in my mind (Note: that is a personal thing...qualifying is a part of the process. It's not my intention to condemn the charity runners. I have no qualms about condemning bandits.)

I've seen Boston only once, when I saw Seko win. (From reading historical accounts, it must have been 1981.) There's a wonderful picture of him in this race at Leo Kulinski, Jr's website. (note: I could not bring this up as I write - I'll try to confirm the site soon.) Also, there's a wonderful picture of two American Boston Marathon champions sitting together - Amby Burfoot (1968) and Bill "Boston Billy" Rodgers (1975, 1978, 1979, 1980).

I've heard a lot of Boston stories, but what intrigues me the most is the "scream tunnel" at Wellesley College. I've heard that going through it is a fabulous experience. If all goes well, I'll get to hear it next year from the course. And to the Wellesley co-eds, thank you from runners everywhere.

The other point on the course that intrigues me is Heartbreak Hill. I understand it's not very intimidating alone, but put into a string of hills after most of 15 downhill miles, it is supposed to be able to hurt you badly.

Boston is arguably the greatest U.S. marathon. Certainly it's the greatest U.S. spring marathon. People can (and will) argue all day about which American Marathon is best (right now, the competition is with New York and Chicago). The one thing no race will be able to match is Boston's rich history. A few of the names include: Clarence DeMar, the Johnny Kelleys, Ellison "Tarzan" Brown, Eino "The Ox" Oksanen, Bobbi Gibb, Katherine "K.V." Switzer, and two great racers who may be best known for their futile struggles at Boston - Tom Fleming and Patti Lyons Catalano.

My efforts at qualifying were nearly rewarded two years ago when I missed a qualifying time by 9 minutes. An injury end my efforts last year. I'm training harder this year than ever before and am fairly confident. I just need to have a few good breaks (like not totally atrocious weather and no sickness) when I try to qualify. This dream became more realistic when the qualifying standards were loosened a few years back. I need only run a 3:30:59 to qualify (age 45).

Oh, one gripe about Boston, it's easier for women to qualify than men. (If looked at in terms of women's records vs. men's or similar criteria.) It's not fair, but I don't mind a bit.

Now, if only the Sox will win the Patriot's Day game this year...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home