Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Boston!

I get to run Boston! On Sunday, I ran the Long Island Marathon in just under the 3:30 needed for a guy my age to qualify to run the Boston Marathon. As I've been analyzing my data from the race, I've realized two things: 1) I did run a bit too fast in the early stages and it cost me after mile 20 and 2) in the cool, overcast conditions, I managed to overhydrate and it caused me some difficulty.
For me, running the Boston Marathon has been a lifelong (OK, well almost) dream. When I watched Frank Shorter win the Olympic Marathon at Munich in 1972, running the unfathomable distance of 26.2 miles captivated my imagination. Boston is the granddaddy of them all, it was first held in 1897, in response to the Olympic Marathon of the first modern games of 1896. It is the oldest annual marathon in the USA (and maybe the world).
Boston also has the distinction of being the only marathon in the USA that requires qualification.* This is a system instituted in the 1970's, during the running boom to limit field size. In the time since, the standards have been loosened slightly. Also, it is possible to enter Boston by doing charitable fund raising, but among those who regard themselves as runners, getting in that way is regarded as a form of cheating. (Don't get me wrong, it's valid and honorable, but those who aspire to Boston because it's Boston, getting in that way is not regarded as being quite on the up and up, thus those who have the competitive streak feel obligated to do it the hard way.)

For more information about the Boston marathon, visit the BAA (Boston Athletic Association) website at www.baa.org.

*In fact there is one other marathon that requires qualification, but it's not held annually - it's the Olympic Trials Marathon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic news. It seems like "mecca" to a lot of runners, and it's amazing that you'll be there after dreaming about it so long.

May 04, 2005 9:25 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Scooter,

Congratulations! Finally achieving a goal is so satisfying. Great job! -Andrew

May 05, 2005 2:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Congrats on your qualifying time! That's a tremendous accomplishment :-)

May 06, 2005 9:43 PM  
Blogger robison52 said...

Howdy! You've given me the Boston Marathon bug...I'm now dreaming of qualifying someday too...Lord help me!!
Happy trails, Bruce

May 08, 2005 7:11 AM  
Blogger Jank said...

Scooter - Way to go, and what a quality blog. It's amazing how close goals can seem that once felt way out there.

June 06, 2005 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home