Thursday, August 25, 2005

Hey Coach!

I recently had the opportunity to visit with my high school track coach after not seeing him for almost 30 years. It was a great deal of fun. We reminisced about old times, caught up on each other, and talked a bit about running and coaching. He has more coaching experience than most, having been at it for over 30 years.
One of the more interesting things I found out was that one of the members of the girls team when I was in school (and that goes back to the very early post-Title IX period) became a great runner in college and is today a collegiate coach.
It was interesting to see his attitude, much more laid back that most of the younger coaches. In the world of coaching, that's a mixed blessing, because while it often means a more enjoyable experience for the athletes (less pressure, etc.) and less encroachment on academics. It also often means less athletic success, less opportunity for scholarships, and arguably, a willingness to accept mediocrity.
I wonder if his attitude is one of the reasons I'm still finding joy in running today? I'm not sure if it made a difference, I suspect not, as I see a fair number of higher level runners still at it, along with a lot of hackers like me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home