Saturday, October 15, 2005

Maybe The Cloud Isn't So Black

Yesterday, I weighed in at the gym, just two days after I last weighed, and the result was significantly different. This time I weighed 168, down six lbs. in just two days. I'd celebrate and say, "Yay!", but I know it's a fiction. The scale is at the local YMCA, and I suspect it's seen some hard use. It is a doctor's scale, but I suspect lack of lubrication, years of heavy service, etc. mean that linkages don't always move as smoothly as they should. Enough analyzing of the scale, it is really more than any of us need to know. Suffice to say, I don't trust it.

My scale at home is an electronic one and I just weighed 172 on it, but I had a bunch to drink and a bit to eat before this weigh-in, so I think the truth is closer to 170. Regardless, it's clear that I can't really trust the scale at the Y.

Meantime, I have gotten on the treadmill twice, and have found my pace slow, finding a 7.5 mph (8:00 pace) pace a bit too demanding, though 7 mph (8:34 pace) seems pretty comfortable. I think part of this is being fat, part is the inescapable warmth of treadmill running without a powerful fan blowing on you. I'd be outdoors, just listening to my body, not bruising my ego with pacing questions, but here in the northeast, we're just ending 8 days of almost constant rain, and I don't trust the drivers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Jeez, Scooter. I think you'd jump out of window if you were in my situation! :)

October 17, 2005 9:59 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Maybe I would...but, I'm afraid of heights, so it would be a first floor window. Pretty ineffective, don't ya think.

October 18, 2005 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home