Friday, January 06, 2006

Failure! and an Amusing Greeting

First, I must confess that I failed to reach my goal of 160 lbs by New Year's. After a solid start, I got sloppy during the holidays and on Jan 4th, I weighed (insert drum roll sound effect here) 165.5 lbs. I am ratcheting up my activity level. (The Boston Marathon is staring me in the face, and I don't want to dishonor my qualifying by not arriving prepared.) For those of you following the big bet, my wife also failed to reach her goal, so no dollar need be exchanged. (I guess I can take some solace in the fact that my weight didn't rise over the holidays.)

This morning at the gym, I was greeted by a neighbor with, "This getting older thing sucks." We both got a laugh out of it. I didn't make the right response to his comment, "But it beats the alternative!"

My usual comment about exercise and aging is, "It's amazing how much older you are AFTER your workout." Quite simply, a hard workout beats you up, and so you tend to feel older afterwards. Of course, after a couple of hours of recovery, you feel great.

Anyway, let's keep getting older, both in age and by exercising.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home