Monday, January 23, 2006

What a Healthy Lifestyle Did For Me

In 1999, I weighed 197 lbs which was spread across my 5'11" frame. In the past couple of years, my weight has fluctuated between 151 and 171 lbs, with it mostly around the 160-165 range.

I suffered from reflux almost every day, now I have it perhaps 3 times a year. In the last several years, this condition has come to be referred to as GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease). Note: Due to a different spelling, the English call this GORD. If you suffer from it, both the National Institutes of Health and AstraZeneca have good informational websites here and here. Had I taken a drug-based approach to this problem, I'd have likely wound up on a proton pump inhibitor.


My blood pressure was 135/85, today it is about 115/75. A good rundown of types of blood pressure drugs can be found here. Consumer's Union, publisher of Consumer Reports, discusses ACE Inhibitors, Beta-Blockers, and Calcium Channel Blockers, Also, my cholesterol was up around 200. This means I'd have likely wound up on a statin drug.

I was usually flatulent, now it occurs only occasionally, usually when I overeat or eat something I have difficulty digesting. So, I used to be a delight to be around (at least if you had an impaired sense of smell).

There were several other things that have cleared up as a result of my healthier lifestyle, but very clearly, by taking control of my health, I have a life that is more free from discomfort and I have saved myself and my insurer significant money because of the drugs I do not need to take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home