Sunday, January 15, 2006

Training On Ice

Last night, we had a rainy and very windy night, as a front came through dropping out temperatures from the 50's (about 10°C) into the 20's (about -4°C). I emerged from the house and put in about 4½ miles. Most of this was done on a crackly glazing of ice on top of the roadway.

My YakTrax kept me feeling comfortable as I wore them for the first time (see this). I probably overdressed a bit, wearing both wind pants and jacket over top of tights and an UnderArmor t-shirt, heavy shirt and light jacket. The double gloves and knit cap were also worn. (I'd heard reports of wind gusts as high as 59 mph in the area.)

On Saturday, I'd seen numerous runners, most in shorts and tees. This morning, aside from people shoveling their walks, getting newpapapers, walking dogs and heading to/in cars, I saw nobody. I guess I can take some pride in being out there on a less than stellar morning. The peacefulness of it was actually quite nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home