Thursday, January 12, 2006

Boston Marathon Entry!

I got my e-mail yesterday saying, "This is to notify you that your entry into the 110th Boston Marathon on Monday, April 17, 2006 has been accepted, provided that the information you submitted is accurate." So, provided I didn't lie (I didn't), I'm in.

Here is my basic stance on marathons:
For most of us, running a marathon well is more demanding on our body than we are likely to be willing to commit to - demanding 50 or more miles per week of training, spread over about 6 or 7 days.

Running a marathon in less serious fashion is both more accessible and less demanding, requiring perhaps 35 miles per week in preparation.

Marathoning as a social activity or as a personal physical challenge can be excellent motivators to get us to be more active, control our weight, etc.

Medical professionals normally say that running in excess of 15-25 miles per week does little or nothing further to improve your health. That initial chunk of activity does A LOT, but the added wear and tear of all that pounding, exposure to the possibility of being struck by cars, etc. can limit the benefits (health-wise) of the training. That said, if you want to race, 35-40 miles per week is likely the minimum needed to achieve a reasonable level of competitiveness. Cross-training may permit you to get away with somewhat less in terms of actual running mileage. If you want to be highly competitive, then numbers in the 60-70 miles per week (or higher) range must be combined with the intense pounding of speed work. This type of training can significantly increase your likelihood of injury. If you enjoy the competition, as I do, training at levels that do more than just keep you healthy may be justified.

I've decided that I do enjoy marathons, but think I enjoy the event / social aspect more, at this stage of my life, than the performance side. As a result, unless I surprise myself or get really motivated at some point in the future, this may be my one and only Boston.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Dunlap said...

You're going to have a great time! Congrats on gettting in.

SD

January 12, 2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger Garou said...

Congrats. I hope to qualify (someday), but right now, I am in that pack of supporters, cheering on all those who are faster than I am. Good luck, and enjoy the race!

January 18, 2006 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home