Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Confluence of Posts

Yesterday, I posted this (key portion posted below):

"I've decided to re-read Michael Connelly's 26 Miles to Boston: The Boston Marathon Experience from Hopkinton to Copley Square. It's worth noting that Connelly ran Boston as a bandit, something he's berated for in the Amazon reviews. I found the book to be an excellent vision of what the race is about for those of us who are mere mortals. I want to refresh myself on what to expect, so I can be sure to drink fully of the elixir that is the Boston Marathon."

While the very good, but very cynical Duncan Larkin posted this(again, key portion posted below):

"Most of the major marathons in this country--New York and Boston in particular--surround themselves with mountains of course 'cracking' books written by many running cretins out to make $15 per while giving you the inside 'scoop.'

Inside the books, you have course maps with elevation diagrams and blow-by-blow gobbledeegook that fills page after page at $15 per for you to stew on while you sit in the john telling your kids or loved ones that you'll be out in a damned second; one more mile marker then I flush and turn on the fan."

In the final analysis, from a racing point of view, books like this do nothing for your race, so Larkin is correct. Yet, for the common man, those for whom merely qualifying for Boston is a challenge, gaining insights into what to expect and how to drink in the experience is incredibly valuable, so I'm right. So, I guess the question is, "Who ya gonna trust?" Larkin, a 2:32 marathoner, or me, a regular joe who's proud of his 3:29. You decide.

2 Comments:

Blogger Duncan Larkin said...

Wayne, you will probably be surprised to learn that I've never even read or picked up course-cracking books. But if I did, one on Boston would be my first because that course is deserving of analysis. Heck, all courses are. I just enjoy satire--especially writing about people hellbent to make money off of common sense (ie. you can find Boston analysis for free all over the web). I also enjoy satirzing the folks that spend money or throw money at running, thinking that the good old American way of paying for things will make you better at a sport the just requires repeating the same thing over and over again.

March 14, 2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

I find you level of apparent cynicism to be fun and often right on target. Personally, I'm a believer that on most things, there isn't a right and wrong answer, though often a more right/more wrong continuum. I enjoy seeing differences of opinion, how else do we learn? A good argument is often a great learning experience. I know your life has educated you very differently from most Americans - you actually know history! And often in a personal way. I wasn't put off by your post, but the contrast and its timing was fun.

March 14, 2006 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home