Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Why Couldn't Pheidippides Have Died Here?

This, according to legend, is what Frank Shorter asked Kenny Moore at mile 21 of the 1971 Pan-Am Games Trials Marathon (see Hal Higdon's relating of the story here - in the "determining the distance" section). For me, today, 21 miles would have been a good distance.

My first Boston Marathon is now done, and I have to say that I am disappointed. There are many possible causes, I was staying in my brother-in-law's house and due to that and some holiday issues, my diet had differed a bit over the last several days. I also started off by leaving Hopkinton and trying to hurl myself into the abyss. My first three miles were almost 5 minutes too fast*, I think as the result of an overload of adrenaline due to finally realizing my dream. I did manage to reel in my pace, but some damage was done.

Checkpoints were: 5K-24:24, 10K-49:02, 15K-1:14:03, 20K-1:40:37, Half-1:46:09, 25K-2:09:28, 30K-2:42:01, 35K-3:20:39, 40K - 3:59:54, Finish - 4:13:57 Projected finishes were: 3:26:53 at 10K, 3:33:18 at 21K, and 3:47:52 at 30K (these came off the e-mailed blog posts; on the marathon site, numbers were given every 5K, but I didn't get to see them).

As you can see, my pace eroded significantly in the second half of the race. I managed to keep mostly running up until about the 19 mile point, by by then, the tightening of my hamstrings and glutes was severere enough that I found myself going through the calculus of balancing a weak performance and two or three days of serious recovery against a better time (but still not great) and perhaps two weeks of debility. I chose the former. Had something I cared greatly about been on the line, I might have made the other choice. When I dropped to a walk, I used reasonable racewalking form and managed to crank out miles in the 12 or 13 minute time frame. Several times I tried returning to a run, but the discomfort was still there.

My wife and son were watching with my cousin and his family around mile 8.5. She was impressed with the crowds that were there and one of her questions was whether it was like that along the whole course. My answer was "yes". There were sections, especially early, where woods prevented easy access and those sections were empty. Aside from those areas, there were spectators along the entire course, steadily building as we approached Boston.

I was wearing my Shore AC singlet, so I got lots of "Go Shore!" (of course it's pronounced "Go Show-ah" in Bostonese). I got several "powerwalk" comments around Boston College, and I think they were respectful. I did manage to pull myself together and run most of the last mile, it probably only saved be 3 or 4 minutes, so it was mostly and ego thing...I wanted to cross the finish running.

My wife got inspired by being here and has announced that she wants to run another marathon (her previous on was in 1996 where she posted a mark just over five hours). I'm fearful that my son will start to feel like a orphan with two marathon parents. She also commented that my cousin's wife was impressed by how she picked out individuals to cheer on. I know that hearing my club's name (since I don't wear mine) goes a long way towards keeping me positive.

Finally, a few comments about the course: First, the steady downhills in the early part of the race are insidious. I think they were a contributor to my suffering. Heartbreak Hill is big, but really not too bad (especially if you're walking!). If you run the serious hills in the place you live, you'll manage it, though perhaps not without some discomfort. The scream tunnel at Wellesley College is wonderful, though it's now more of a "wall of sound" - barricades keep the co-eds on the south side of the road. There's a steady stream of hands offered for high-fives and more than a few "kiss me" signs. After passing, I commented to the runner beside me that my right ear hurt.

My friend Vince "Boston or Bust" Hemingson commented to me by voicemail that this was the hardest marathon he's run. He'll doubtless have some stories posted on his blog here. (Link to be added)

*When I passed the clock at the start, I was sure it said 12:xx, but the race is showing my offset at about 7:40 - I'm now thinking the clock was showing time of day as it also didn't seem to be moving much. The damage I did may have been less than I thought, but things like that hurt your mindset, and that impacts how you race. I may have to go back to wearing a watch.

4 Comments:

Blogger Allen said...

Hey Scooter,

You had a dream. You met the dream and conquered it. Your time is not important. You finding your dream is important! Enjoy it, and we'll enjoy it with you!

April 18, 2006 2:36 PM  
Blogger Duncan Larkin said...

The Boston course is one of the most deceiving and difficult major courses in the world. The hills come at the wrong time; then the flats mash you for the last 6 miles under the unrelenting, late afternoon sun. To even qualify it and then finish it deserves respect. Hold your head high.

April 18, 2006 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scooter,

You hung tough when the going got rough. Nobody should expect more from themselves.

In spite of the difficulties it sounds like your experience was all you expected and more.

I hope your recovery is going well and your not suffering too much post race discomfort.

I had a feeling you would go out fast (you have a tendency to do it in every race).

Knowing how excited you were to be at Boston; combined with the net downhill of the early miles, made a 'too fast start' almost inevitible.

So, with this 'feather in your cap, what are your short and medium range goals for the balance of the year? Another Boiler Maker maybe? Or a change in focus to the 5 and 10k?

With all the energy you put into Boston you have been racing less than in the past.

Randy

April 18, 2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

Duncan nails it - Lordy - but that is one tough marathon course. I got slapped around - but good.

The sheer numbers running and the ever changing grade make it nearly impossible to find a "groove" and stick it for an length of time. You always have to be vigilant about your pace. The downhills lure you on and the uphills catch you unawares. "Pace" is almost impossible to achieve.

I went out "easy", but still reeled off a 24 minute 5K and a 48 minute 10K.

I felt good at the Half, but I knew that my 1:41 would take a beating in Newton.

I had dropped at least five minutes by the top of Heartbreak Hill. It took everything I had to keep my heart rate in a zone I could maintain.

At mile twenty-three my muscles cramped so badly I had to walk them out.

I abandoned any idea of a 3:20 at 10 miles, and had my heart set on a Personal Best at Boston (3:29:39) for the next ten miles. From 32K on my only goal, and a desperate attempt to salvage something for the day was to re-qualify for Boston IN Boston.

I almost didn't make it. I have NEVER suffered muscle cramps before like I did yesterday. You name the muscle group, and it probably seized up on me yesterday, guads, calves, hamstrings. Twice I thought seriously about just walking it in.

Truthfully, knowing that Scooter was out there like the Great White Shark in Jaws and that my running buddies were all glued to a computer screen somewhere, kept me going.

You wanna talk about respect? Boston is DA MAN! I bow down! What a race.

I consider myself incredibly lucky and fortunate to have come away with a 3:30:38 in Boston.

Best, Vince

April 18, 2006 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home