Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Plantar Fasciitis Saga

I mark my current case of plantar fasciitis from the Johnny Kelley Road Race that I attended as my birthday race in August 2004, so I’ve been dealing with it for almost two years. A few months back, I advocated doing heel drops as a stretch for it, but I’m now using a ball under foot as a means of massaging and stretching the tendons under the arches of my foot. I am using a lacrosse ball, but have used both tennis balls and baseballs for this purpose. I like the lacrosse ball because it’s hard and rolls easily. I’ve seen other people advocate golf balls, and they may be a better choice if you want to carry the ball, a lacrosse ball fills a pocket pretty well.

To use a ball for the stretch, place it on the floor and place your foot atop it, then roll the ball with your foot. If the area feels tender or tight, press downward a bit harder. After a few seconds, that area will begin to feel looser. Continue as needed or desired until the whole foot has been loosened up.

I’ve found that this technique is a bit slower than the heel drop, but it can be done seated almost anywhere (including under a table at a restaurant, at the library, etc.). It’s now become my favored stretch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home