Sunday, October 08, 2006

Kids Meet Today

Today, the kids I coach had a meet. I should preface this with the information that the meet is about 45 minutes away, it occurs on Sunday morning, and this is a school holiday weekend (Columbus Day). The result is that we had just two kids there, my son and a girl a couple of years older.

That said, due to a conflict with soccer, we needed to leave before result were fully compiled, so we don't have final results. It was a great morning for running. Day broke at about 45°F, but good sun drove temps up to about 60°F by race time. I'd warmed the kids up with a half-mile or so, run on a dirt road to keep their shoes from bring saturated with dew. I try to pay attention to little stuff like that, because added weight due to moisture in shoes can make a difference in the ability to accelerate their feet. I may be hyper-attuned to this stuff, and you might think I'm a wacko by even paying attention, but little things make a difference. I'm currently reading David Halberstam's The Teammates, and he recounts a story of Ted Williams taking several bats and teammates to the post office to have the bats weighed after an argument about whether the bats gain weight from sitting in damp grass.

The upshot of today's meet was the the kids went 2 for 2, each setting PR's for their respective courses. We think my son PR'ed by about 15 or 20 seconds (on a mile), and the girl by about 2 minutes in the 3km. I'll update this when I have precise details.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Well, I was wrong. My son hadn't PR'ed, he was 20 seconds slower. The girl really stepped up. She PR'ed not by the two minutes expected, rather she knocked almost 3 and a half minutes off her previous time.

October 10, 2006 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home