Sunday, September 23, 2007

Here Come Da Judge

(It's been way too long...I won't begin that way, as a friend of mine claims that is the most popular phrase for beginning a blog post. I apologize for my laxity, and will try to make sure it doesn't happen as often.)

Last Sunday, I spent the early part of the day judging a racewalk. It was my first time judging one, and it opened my eyes a bit regarding how walking style can impact judging.
I should tell you, in case you don't know, there are two rules in racewalking: 1) one foot must always be in contact with the ground (when viewed by the naked eye) and 2) the lead leg must be straight from the time of its plant until it passes under the body.
One competitor was particlarly egregious with his bent legs. He planted bent, and kept his leg bent throughout his stride. He got disqualified quickly, but kept walking without his number.
One interesting thing occurring was a documentarian taping the goings on. I was briefly interviewed, but more interestingly was his tachnique. He needed to be able to move quickly, and in order to do this, and not have the bouncing of running, he used a skateboard. I'll be interested to see the result.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

Nice to see you back!! It would be kinda cool to see you being interviewed! Would the interview be online? I tried racewalking when I first started exercising, it's definitely tougher than it looks. How's your own exercising coming along?

September 23, 2007 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home