Monday, August 27, 2007

Una Semana en la Republica Dominicana

(A Week in the Dominican Republic)
That's the reason why I wasn't posting last week. We flew down towards the approaching Hurricane Dean which skirted the southern edge of the island of Hipaniola (I need to check the spelling), the island shared by Haiti and the Dominican Republic. We stayed outside Puerto Plata, on the north coast, so we didn't see the wind that the south shore received, just some rain, which was pretty intense at times.
Aside from a fairly long walk out of the resort complex, I didn't leave the immediate area. I spent the days mostly tucked under the shade of a tree in the corner of the pool's deck. There was a fairly constant sea breeze, but the sun was HOT! I got a fair amount of sun on my face, the backs of my hands, and the tops of my feet (an area where very little sun has a big impact).
I took a fitness class daily, it was to have been a stretching class, but was actually a combination of stretching and strength. Lesson: My core is weak. I also took two fitness walks, went for a run with a martial arts instructor.
My Spanish skills improved a bit, mostly the result of lots of asking "Como se dice...?" (I'm too lazy to look for the upside-down question mark that begins Spanish questions.)
The aftermath: I did not work out on either of the travel days, nor on the day after return, so of the 9 days involved, I went 6 for 9. An OK result, but it really should have been 7 for 9.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

You did very well exercising 6 for 9 as most would take the whole week off! You show internal fortitude in regards to your fitness!!

In the future, how are you planning on getting a stronger core?

August 28, 2007 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home