Monday, November 12, 2007

Dropping My Salami

One day last week, I went to one of the local stores to buy a few things. When I went to check out, I had a salami, a piece of cheddar cheese, and some oriental noodles. During checkout, the checker asked, "Plastic OK?" My response was, "Yes, ordinarily, I'd say, "No bag," but I have some other stuff to be taking into my house." She said, "You might drop your salami." Laughing, I said, "That sounded kind of inappropriate." Her response was, "I realized that as soon as I'd said it." I figured that was the end of it, but she kept apologizing, but in the process, apparently ratcheting up her discomfort. Finally, after she said she hoped I'd still come back to the store, I realized that she was really nervous about things. (I think she was new at the market, and perhaps her job might be in jeopardy.) I said, "I come in here a few times a week, I'm laughing, you're laughing, there's no problem" and headed for the door. It's kind of funny how something inoocent can both be very funny, yet also create such discomfort.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

She's probably not used to someone with a sense of humor. My response to the question,

"Do you want a bag?"

"Nope, she's at home!"

November 13, 2007 4:27 AM  
Blogger runningDeb said...

tsk, tsk, tsk :)

November 15, 2007 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home