Saturday, January 09, 2010

Best Shape of My Life

My last post drew two responses, the first said, in essence, choose to get into the best shape of your life this year, and the second agreed with the concept. My response is "Impossible!" Why? As recently as the spring of 2005, I was running roughly 50 miles per week, and getting a 50 year-old body to that level from a state of poor conditioning takes much longer than a year, even if issues like the need to earn income, care for my son several days a week, and continue my education were not factors.
So, I still stand by my original premise of "getting into reasonable shape" this year. Now, it's time for a few mea culpas. I did not yet get the training log. I did not begin a formal training plan this week. While I have done a few basic and very limited exercises, they lacked the structure and volume to cause soreness, a sign that muscles were overloaded. So, forgive me dear readers, I have sinned by failing to make progress on my resolution during week 1 of 2010. I promise that week 2 will be better.
Still, how will I quantify my progress? I will establish a single goal, to be able to run 5 kilometers at will by the beginning of summer. I will also draw the beginning of summer to be the traditional start of the summer season here in NJ, Memorial Day. If any readers are outside the USA, that's the last Monday in May. As a secondary goal, I want to lose weight, but am currently unable to quantify that, as I don't own, nor have access to a scale. I will purchase on in the next couple of weeks.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

Howdy Wayne! Granted I don't really know your life circumstances that would make running 50 miles a week seem impossible, yet setting such a goal as "reasonable shape" is so luke warm and mediocre that it just won't motivate you to try your best. Setting a 5k race goal is definitely a good start as it has substance and accountability.

I recall how Sir Roger Bannister was a full time medical student when he accomplished the "impossible" 4 minute mile. I often wonder how I managed to accomplish what I have with working 12-hour nights as a cab driver. Sacrificing one hour a day for training might not be that impossible.

Your secondary goal of losing weight will go hand-in-hand with your 5k training and eating healthier. A weight scale may not be needed, just seeing how your running clothes fit should be enough.

I have tremendous respect for you and you have helped me stay motivated in the past, I wish I could return you the favor. I will be here to monitor your progress and give you encouragement...fair enough?

January 09, 2010 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home