Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Portion Control Helps You Lose Weight

I've lost weight over the last 6 years mostly by controlling portion sizes. I do exercise, and think you should too, but eating too much can overwhelm any amount of exercise you do. There is no food that I don't eat (well, I'm not a fan of brussel sprouts), but I do have ice cream, though less than I have chocolate. I enjoy dessert occasionally. (And am a fan of pudding - I like the cooked stuff, not the instant, but it's easy to make and is reasonably healthy - I'm lactose intolerant, so I just keep the portions reasonable - about 4 oz. - and I have no trouble.)

When I was getting heavier, I used to eat all of what I was served in a restaurant. Now, I'll still do that occasionally, but will often take half my meal home. If it tastes good today, it'll still be good tomorrow. It's not always an easy thing to do, but I was out to dinner this past weekend and ate almost my whole serving. The indigestion that I associate with my old eating habits was back. (I think it's better to control problems with lifestyle when possible, rather than take drugs - this was driven home by the recent Vioxx recall.)

Most of weight loss is taking in less calories than you expend. You can lose the weight without going hungry.


2 Comments:

Blogger Allen said...

Hey Scooter, I like your blog! I've never had much of a weight problem, but I like to read how others are handling their weight!

Concerning indigestion, try an aloe vera drink. I have a little bit of occasional heart burn, and the aloe vera really takes it out. I drink about 4 oz. You can buy 100% aloe vera juice but it tastes terrible. I buy it mixed with fruit juice and it tasts pretty good.

November 26, 2004 10:43 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Allen,

When I eat right (not too fatty, not too much), I have no trouble with indigestion. When I eat wrong, I pay a little. Aloe juice sound horrible! I think I'll keep away. Thanks for the comment.

November 30, 2004 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home