Thursday, February 24, 2005

Why I Run

Not long ago, my mother asked me, “Why do you run? It always looks like it hurts.” As I thought about this, I realized that she never saw me run except in a race. This can lead to the impression that running hurts, and it can, but a lot of runners never make it hurt. That’s OK, but it also means that if they race, they aren’t racing up to their potential.

My mother never saw the training time, in blocks of 30 minutes to 2 hours or so, spent with a friend or friends, chatting while running at a comfortable pace. She also doesn’t see (or if she does, doesn’t understand) the little victories that each race is made up of. I have a racing friend who, though he has a few years on me, often beats me in races. I always congratulate him when this happens. One day last year, I had a breakthrough, a small difference in training paid off big, he couldn’t say enough. He said something like, “I looked for you as we neared the finish, and you were nowhere to be seen.” (So, he does key off of me!) But, it’s that kind of rivalry that takes both of us to a slightly higher level. Now, as I approach the finish, I visualize him trying to come past. It makes me struggle a bit harder to get to the line before he can inflict this on me again.

I’ve been blessed in my running. I’ve proven to be fairly durable. I’ve made a lot of friends, and have had the pleasure to line up (and occasionally chat) with some really great runners. One of the more enjoyable things I’ve done took place this past fall, I had the chance to introduce a great older runner (early 50’s) to a great younger runner (30ish). Part of the conversation was on what took you from a high-level open runner to a top age-grouper – the upshot was 20 years at 10 miles a day average (Yes, the top guys, even in the age groups train at that kind of level…and so, it was decided that what separated these guys was, give or take 73,000 miles in the legs.) When you realize that these guys are putting 3500 to 5000 miles a year on their legs, you also realize they put car-type mileage on their legs.

It’s these friendships, rivalries and experiences that for me, make running a treasure and a joy. So, does it hurt? Sometimes, but the pain is more than made up for by the nice experiences. That, Mom, is why I run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home