Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Riding The Yo-Yo

My weight had gotten down to 165.5 lbs. on the home scale before Thanksgiving weekend intruded. When I weighed myself on Friday morning, I was 171 lbs. Further weighing put me at 170.5, 170, and 170.5. Today, I got a weight that approximated normal for the first time. After some fluids, a workout and a visit to the toilet, I was 166.5 lbs., just a pound heavier than when the weekend started. I suspect that's about right. I did overeat during the weekend, not massively at any time, but a bit here and a bit there. It adds up!
So, the question then crops up, how could I have appeared to have put on about 5 lbs? The answer, though both conjectural and multi-faceted, is really simple. During the holiday, I ate things that were different from my normal diet. Some were saltier, and that added salt likely pulled additional fluids into my body. Also, larger amounts of food being consumed resulted in more food being held in my digestive tract. The combination of these effects could easily have made up the five pounds. Four of it is now gone, but the overeating seems to have added about a pound of adiposity to my body. I now have 6.5 lbs. to get off me by year end, several parties between now and then, and the usual year-end "junk around the office" to contend with. Discipline will pay, but I must be disciplined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home