Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Changing Goals

The whole business of marshaling one's energies becomes more and more important as one grows older. - Hume Cronyn

Aging gracefully is a difficult proposition. In middle age, I am still fighting like heck to deny that I've lost any of the abilities I had a couple of decades ago. This morning, I was talking with one of my running friends at the gym. I believe he's somewhere between a decade and a decade and a half older than I am. That 60ish age group seems to be where the real decline in ability seems to occur. It's the wisdom that comes with acknowledging one's changing capabilities that intrigues me.

This man has needed, because of knee issues, to stop most of his running in training. He now spends the bulk of his training on the elliptical trainer. He does still race, and does well in his age-group, but he's had to tone it down. He no longer runs the long races, saying that 5 miles is his limit. (I suspect he'd slip into a 10K without argument, but there aren't many around anymore.) This process of adjusting one's goals as we age is, in my mind, a big part of how we do manage to age with grace. I am not saying we should ever give anything away without a fight, but when the price of fighting that fight affects quality of life, then it's time to reevaluate how to continue the fight.

I've had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with many fine older athletes, some of whom we fine young athletes, others found their talents later, while still others rose from mediocrity by suffering less from the ravages of time. I've also spoken to many fine athletes who've, though injury, lack of desire, or impinging of life's demands, given up sport. Some continue to participate on the sidelines, others simply move away or redirect their athletic interests. Most seem to recognize the value of an active life. More and more, it's clear to me that staying active is a key part of aging with grace.

I was introduced to the concept of "squaring the curve" by walking coach Mark Fenton when he was making the TV show America's Walking. The essence of the concept is to live a life with quality for as long as possible, keeping that gradual decline of abilities at a minimum for as long as possible. The eventual outcome of every life is, unfortunately, death. If the curve is well-squared, one's abilities are reasonably well maintained until just before one's death.

I look to people like this friend to set the example for me to follow as I am faced with the challenges of aging. I hope I can meet the challenges with a fair measure of grace and manage to square the curve well (and many, many years from now).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home