Friday, December 09, 2005

The Eyes Have It

Yesterday, I went to the eye doctor for my annual checkup. As a contact lens wearer, I am more regular on this than most people. First, the good news - I don't need the white cane with the red tip, yet. As a kid, when someone couldn't throw, we'd say, "He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn." My eyesight then permitted me to see the barn, it was probably good enough that if the door was open, I could see the door. It has gradually worsened (though not really that much). Being into middle-age, I have developed a bit of farsightedness. It's a bit annoying to have to put on reading glasses if the light's not good, but having worn glasses or contacts most of my life, it's no big deal.

I took the opportunity to ask my doctor two questions: What does he think about the optical muscular development programs that are supposed to diminish your need for glasses? and, What is his stance on vitamins and supplements?

Regarding the muscular development programs, he told me that unless you have a problem with optical muscles, and that group is almost always young people, the cause of most focus problems is changing depth of the eyeball. No amount of muscular work will change that, therefore, in most cases, the only people helped by these kinds of programs being used by adults are those employed by the sellers of these programs.

Supplements were a very different story. He was strongly in favor of good diet aided by supplements, especially including anti-oxidants. He mentioned a few vegetables including broccoli. In general, I've learned that with regard to veggies, the more color thay have, the healthier they are for us. Here, he said that there was some disagreement about whether it made a difference, but he was certain that good nutrition wouldn't hurt and could likely help. He also pointed out that protecting the eyes from exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light with good sunglasses was also important in slowing age related deterioration of the eyes.

One final note, he wears glasses and has not gotten his vision corrected with surgery (either knife or laser). In previous conversations, he's told me that he'd given it thought and for him, the convenience of being free of glasses didn't outweigh the possible risks. (So, no radial keratotomy, Lasik, etc. for him, or for me either.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home