Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Dressing For Cold

This morning, one of the instructors at my gym cornered me while I was stretching and asked me about how to dress for running outside in winter. I shared the 15 degree rule (I guess in metric countries that this is probably more like the 10 degree rule), which says that for outdoor activity, you want to dress like it’s 15 degrees warmer than the actual temperature. I also told her that in calm air, a breathable top layer lets moisture out much more readily, but when winds get up beyond about the 20 mph (35 kph) level, putting on a nylon shell keeps wind from penetrating through your clothing.

Down to about 50°F (10°C), I wear shorts and a tee shirt (usually technical fabric). Down to about 45°F (7°C), the shirt becomes a long-sleeve. Down to about 40°F (5°C), tights are added. Below that, a jacket goes on.

I also recommended a hat, at least when temperatures drop to around freezing or below. I told her that I wear double gloves, a knit inner, which I’ll wear alone down to about 35-40°F (2-5°C), and an outer shell that goes on in temperatures below that. I can easily adjust by peeling off gloves or hat, and tuck them into the front of my tights. Zippers are also very handy to have. If you've overdressed, opening a zipper can make the difference between comfort and cooking.

The process of dressing for outside is quite easy. If you don’t feel a bit cool during your first few minutes outside, you’re probably overdressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home