Friday, January 27, 2006

Am I A Deer In The Headlights?

There are marathons, then there's Boston. No marathon has more tradition. I first became aware of Boston after Frank Shorter won the Olympic Marathon in 1972. I vowed then that I would run Boston. I was running track and cross-country in high school. Then, the running boom hit, difficult qualifying times were established, and the Boston vow became a dim memory.

After several years work, I ran a 3:29 at the Long Island Marathon last May. Finally, Boston was to be mine. Here it is, it's just over 11 weeks until my date with my running dream. I know my training has been a bit soft. Today, Alison posted a commentary about her training this past week. Her reference to Heartbreak Hill got me rattled. As if that was not bad enough, Runner's World posted a link to Hal Higdon's Boston Bound training plan. Higdon says of the late stages of Boston, "If you enter this stretch fatigued and unable to maintain running form--particularly if forced back onto your heels--you will pound the muscles of your lower legs to pulp."

Suddenly, I feel like a deer in the headlights!

My follow-up post can be found here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog :)



www.FriendsterForum.com

January 27, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

Don't worry about it, and keep it in perspective. It's Boston.

I was injured when I ran Boston in 2000. I ran my qualifier below 3:20, but finished Boston (hurting bigtime) at 3:40. I was happy though...I RAN BOSTON!

January 27, 2006 12:59 PM  
Blogger David said...

I also got interested in running during the early 1970's running boom, I'm 46, on/off runner since high school, finally aspiring to do a marathon and qualify for boston (3:30:59!). Don't know if I can stick with the training, never been very consistent, but reading blogs like yours helps with the motivation.

January 28, 2006 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home