Thursday, March 16, 2006

Biomechanics

Last night, I attended a lecture on the biomechanics of running given by Gerard Pearlberg, author of Run Tall, Run Easy, and Mr. RunningBuzz. After 32 years of running, you’d think I’d know what I’m doing, and for the most part, I do, but there were a couple of things that Coach GP mentioned that I think I can use to improve my form.

In a brief conversation with GP (and GP knows me from the competitive/coaching world), he mentioned that his techniques are nothing new, but that sometimes you hear (or read) something presented in a manner that is different from what you are accustomed to, and realize that there is some tuning that should be done. (For me, it was a nuance regarding arm carriage and its effect on footstrike.)

The lecture was given at Shore Runner, a new running specialty store in Long Branch, NJ. I understand that Coach GP will be giving a similar lecture at the expo held in conjunction with the NJ Marathon in about 6 weeks. I’d encourage any of you with the opportunity to attend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home