Saturday, April 01, 2006

A Monster Workout

Too bad it wasn't mine!

Last night, after work, I headed up to the kids track group I help coach. After the workout, I started circling the track. At one point I was joined by a guy, probably a decade younger than I am who is training for a 10K leg of a triathlon relay. We ran a couple of laps together, chatting as we went.

While doing this, another guy was running drills on the field. He'd sprint out, rest and sprint back, repeating this cycle several times. Then, he'd launch into a variant, sprint out, the brief rest, then backwards running to return. After a bit of this, he moved onto the track. For whatever reason, after a short warmup, travelling in the normal (counter-clockwise) direction, he reversed his direction and began hammering out about two miles at what I'd estimate was about a 6:00 pace. He then returned to the normal direction, did a few that way, and then went back to the field to repeat his out and backs. I interrupted his workout and asked him what he was training for, his response, "Nothing right now, but I probably run some races in the summer." As we talked further, he told me that he coaches soccer and lacrosse here in town and lives in one of the neighboring towns. He seems like a nice guy, and he wears a beard reminiscent of many of the monsters of road racing back in the 70's.

When I left, he was still grinding it out. I suspect I'll see him on the roads and know that mine will be one of the butts getting kicked. He'll have earned it (as most fine athletes do), by grinding it out at the times when nobody's watching.

My workout was about 2 miles of probably 7:30's followed by some racewalking in order to keep that form from completely disappearing. My thighs were still sore after my 200's on Wednesday. (And when I groaned about that to one of the high school track team members who volunteers with the youth running group, he laughed and said, "that'll happen." All of us who've been there know the experience.)

It looks like we're facing a great weekend here in the northeast. I'm looking forward to my road time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home