Monday, March 27, 2006

Weekend Update

My last posting about training told you that I would run on Wednesday evening. It didn't happen, but I wasn't terrible, though plans differed from my expectations. I had decided to run on Thursday morning in the warmth of the gym, but even that got thrown a monkey wrench. I got to the gym and realized that my gym bag was still at home. I asked my son if he wanted to go into before care or head home and back. He opted for before care, so I took him in, then realized that all I had were my boat shoes, so I jogged home and back, picking up my running shoes. I then headed in and ran my half-hour on the mill, tallying about 3.6 miles, and I needed to add to that about a mile for the home and back, so Thursday was an OK workout.

As I left the gym, I chose to walk out barefoot. It was chilly, and I'm walking across the parking lot at the gym and a lady was coming the other way. She looked at my feet and then at me and broke out laughing. I do try to give my feet air when possible, and we exchanged greetings because of it. It always amuses me how people react to unexpected bare feet.

On Friday, I did an uphill run to the house where we were staying - 4 miles with a BIG!! climb (I'll try to look it up on a topo map, but if any of you know the ski areas of the northeast, I ran from the river just north of the Sugarbush access road on Vermont Route 100 up to the Lincoln Peak area at Sugarbush and about a half-mile beyond.)

I did blow off Saturday, just continuing my orgy of eating, but then yesterday morning, I ran for 2.5 hours. I went down the access road, then up to Irasville, headed west on VT 17 and made a left past the Mt. Ellen area at Sugarbush and continued across German Flats Road and then up and over to the house. I'd figured that this would be a two-hour loop. It took 2.5, I'll need to try to get a measure on it, to see if the hills slowed me that much or if I went farther than expected. I'd assumed this would be 14-15 miles. (I used Google maps to chart my route, and it measured at about 12 1/3 miles, and the distance to the house was just shy of a mile, so, ignoring the tendancy of the program to underestimate distances slightly, this was probably just about 14.25 miles, short, but with the hills, worth considerably more than a normal 14. I'll trry to get the topo data to figure how much climbing I did...perhaps a mile of vertical in each direction - we'll have to see.)

The warm winter up in Vermont meant that I could not cross-country ski, so I lost out on that exercise.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Thinking Runner said...

I guess it's just about three weeks to Boston, you must be getting ready to taper pretty soon. Hope there are no significant injury issues! Good luck.

March 27, 2006 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home