Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Draggin' My $%# ummm, BUTT!

I started my run this morning on unhappy legs again. I woke a bit late, having stayed up a bit late, and just with a general sense of malaise. I think the volume of the weekend has not yet been recovered from. I ran the 55-minute loop, completing it in about 53 min (it was hard to keep moving forward at the 35 minute turn, and just a bit less hard at the 45 minute turn). I got through it - the need to feel accountable to my readers is paying off already!

It was cold this morning, and I made a bad choice by wearing only the knit gloves without the nylon shells. My hands were cold thoughout - Brrrr!

OK, bad riddle time: Who discovered the north pole? (answer at bottom of post)

The cheerfulness of pleasant drivers had carried over into the work week. I had three little incidents and one very pleasant encounter. I'll tell them from kindest to nastiest. Passing the exit of a parking lot, a woman spotted me, we made eye contact and she gave the the "come along" wave. (Sort of a cupped hand, with the fingers moving quickly in then out). It was just a nice, respectful encounter. The next nicest was a young guy making a left turn from behind me. He pulled halfway across the oncoming lane and stopped, allowing me to pass unimpeded. (I don't know if he had misjudged my speed or if he made a judgement that with no oncoming traffic, he could exit his lane to allow cars to pass him from behind.) I felt no danger and it was good.

The third incident, and I place it third only because there was no contact, was a woman turning right from a road entering from my left (I think it was at a light). She was looking left as I approached, never glancing right, I kept approaching, thinking she'd look, no look. Finally, to avoid the risk of getting hit, I stop and give her the angry look. She starts to pull out, still without looking. Now she's getting the angry look with head thrust forward. Suddenly, she sees me and hits the brakes. She gives the wave for me to go ahead, with the look like she's being generous. The angry look with head thrust forward contiues until I pass her car.

The fourth incident seemed at first to be developing like the second. A woman in a small SUV came up behind me and began her turn. On realizing that she was turning into my path, she stopped with enough space for me to pass in front of her. Then, since I'd stopped, she began to pull forward as I resumed my run. I drummed a bit of a tattoo on her rear door and quarter panel as I passed behind. Her back up lights came on for a moment, and I was unsure if I was going to wind up with some type of an incident. Until I finished my run, I figured there was a chance of a cop (or her) pulling up beside me. It didn't happen.

I think I'd better tape my hands for my next run. Drivers, you've pissed me off!

Bad riddle answer: Aaron Brrrr!

53 minutes - about 6.3 miles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home