Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Sisu

The Finns have a word, sisu (pronounced see-sue), which roughly translates into "guts." When Lasse Viren tumbled to the track in the 10,000 meters race during the 1972 Olympics, got up, rejoined the pack and went on to win, that was sisu. This Monday, at Boston, when Prokopcuka hammered while trying to chase down Jeptoo, that was sisu.

When I buckled under the cramping at mile 19, that was the opposite of sisu. As I've had more time to think about my race, and also more time to consider how I'm feeling, there is no doubt in my mind that I hadn't prepared myself well mentally. Last year at Long Island, I was ready to pay any price - injury, heat issues, etc. to get to Boston. After a year without a marathon and regarding Boston as a "victory lap," I realize that this year at Boston, when the going got tough, I chose the path of least resistance. I hadn't steeled myself to pay the price in pain that the Boston course often demands.

I didn't know how much Boston would hurt, and Vince Hemingson's comment to my last post, gives some idea of why. "The sheer numbers running and the ever changing grade make it nearly impossible to find a "groove" and stick it for an length of time. You always have to be vigilant about your pace. The downhills lure you on and the uphills catch you unawares. "Pace" is almost impossible to achieve." This short description does a good job of describing what Boston runners face. Duncan Larkin's take was, "The Boston course is one of the most deceiving and difficult major courses in the world. The hills come at the wrong time; then the flats mash you for the last 6 miles under the unrelenting, late afternoon sun." Together, you start to understand what a runner at Boston faces.

I had prepared myself physically for the marathon by doing the training, but hadn't prepared well enough mentally for it. In that area, I failed, and in doing so, compromised my experience at Boston. I can't change it, but I can know better for next time. Racing the marathon requires a tremendous level of mental toughness. Running one well takes a lot. Finishing one takes some. I was at that last level.

It's said that "the marathon will humble you." Boston taught me that lesson in spades. Don't take the marathon lightly, if you do, like me, you'll regret it. Having sisu requires preparation, and most of it is in the mind. I hadn't prepared adequately.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hey, congratulations on your Boston finish, awesome, I was just watching. Sorry you weren't totally satisfied with your performance, but you finished, you learned. We're not spring chickens here, we're working against evolution, we should be dead by now, but instead we're running miles and miles, let us give thanks. Take care.

April 19, 2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Congratulations on your Boston Finish! Have you tried the five fingers shoe? I will run a marathon this fall to qualify for Boston. Take Care.

April 20, 2006 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home