Thursday, June 29, 2006

Answers to Some Questions

I've never done this before, but liked it when I've seen other blogs do it, so here are some responses to questions in the comment section. My recent Goals post prompted several questions, they're answered here.

An chat friend, Bruce, commented:
Howdy! WOW!! A sub 20 minute 5k is really FAST! What is your current 5k PR? Happy trails, Bruce

My response:
Bruce, my recent 5K PR is 19:32, set almost exactly 2 years ago. I've been dissatisfied of late with my racing and want to race harden myself a bit before my fall marathon. Whether 20:00 is a fast 5K may be up for some debate, but we can only measure according to our abilities. If my judgement is right, my 10:56 2-mile PR set in HS would equate to about a 17:20 5K, a time that looks pretty slow when you look at road race results in my area, even for masters runners.

Blaine Moore described his similar situation:
Now I do not feel silly for having similar goals. I want to run a 2:45 marathon and a sub-16:00 minute 5k in the same year. I'd also like a sub 33:00 minute 10k, but will settle for getting into the 34's again.

My response:
Blaine, I'm of the belief that training to run fast helps at any and all distances. Since I don't know where you are now, I can't make any judgement of how realistic your goals are, however, I will make this comment, Arthur Lydiard, the legendary coach, trained his half-milers much as he trained his marathoners, the volumes were similar, though the long runs weren't as important and the speed was more significant. Building your aerobic base will help on both sides of the equation. My base is at a level that should permit that sub-20 now.

My friend, Randy, wrote:
Where does the Boiler Maker fit into your plan? I thought you were running that as a goal race, too. Any chance I'll see you in Philly this fall?
Randy

My response:
Boilermaker will be treated as a training run, essentially a tempo run. My plan is to run Steamtown in early October (if the floods don't change that) and use Philly as a possible backup race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home