Friday, June 30, 2006

Getting Chicked

On Wednesday, I went running at big local park. As I was getting started, I saw a woman running like a gazelle closing fast. I let her pass, then made chase, and managed to hang with her a few miles, though it took some work. She was cranking along pretty good, and all I could do with her was 2.5 or 3 miles. She's one of the top runners in the area, though she's out of shape by her (very high) standards. (She wins big area races and often beats guys who win some of the smaller races.)

I've seen the term "getting chicked" used, usually by younger male runners, to describe being beaten in a race by a woman. Here in practice, I was handed my head. She kicked my butt, and deserved to, she works damned hard at her running. So, yep, I got chicked, and it's OK with me.

3 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

Howdy! Hmmm, I see a pattern here, you've stated before you prefer to read female blogs due to their unique perspective, and now you're getting chicked! Suffering a mid-life crisis are we:)
Happy trails, Bruce

June 30, 2006 1:44 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Hey, at least you were man enough to admit it. I like the term though. I'm going to use it on my hubby if I ever beat him.

July 01, 2006 10:22 AM  
Blogger robison52 said...

Howdy! Now, after reading your post, I came across this story about getting "chicked."
http://www.runbud.com/_bulletin/index.php?bulletinid=5205

July 09, 2006 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home